Photography by Rebekah Burder.
In our cottage, I use what was meant to be the spare bathroom. When we moved in, there wasn’t a cabinet to be found, excluding one little nook built into the shower. Combine that with sloped ceilings, and you have a major design challenge. The redeeming detail? Enough space to add in storage.
I started with hanging the Byger rail, Grundtal hooks, and Asker containers from Ikea used in my office closetÂ in Alabama. I used these for makeup brushes, contact solution, face potions, and various other things that could fit into the containers. I left one hook bare to hang my loofah from, because it is reachable from the shower.
I found a three-drawer chest in a soft gray at TK Maxx in Waterford to store the things I don’t want guests to see. 🙂 The chest was a major score, and took about six months of searching for the right item. I wasn’t willing to sacrifice for the typical storage you find in Irish department stores. Until I found it, I used a crappy little bookshelf in a revolting shade of pine. Let’s just say I was VERY excited to replace it.
I found a wire basket for face cloths at Dunnes in Kilkenny (part of the Carolyn Donnelly line), straw basket for makeup at Ikea, straw basket (originally a planter) at Ikea for toilet paper storage, and glass containers for q-tips and cotton balls. I packed those in our original house shipment. One is from a thrift store, the other from Target.
A wire basket hold extra towels Â at the base of the sink. Both the basket and towels were purchased at TK Maxx in Kilkenny.
While this isn’t storage, it’s more of a simple fix. The bathtub is a bit of an issue. When we moved in, it had a piece of wood blocking it off that was too large. The edge barely fit under the lip of the tub, and it was long enough that it blocked off the back of the tub. There is a portion of the shower door that leaks, and so the wood was also staying damp and allowing mold to grow. I removed it to allow air to circulate, but it looked terrible. I found a smaller piece of wood at a local shop for â‚¬11, painted it with a tin of â‚¬.50 sample paint on clearance, and propped it in front of the tub. It’s a good short term solution until the tub is fixed and we can put in something more permanent.